Sunday, August 21, 2011

n = The C Train

While in the process of moving to New York, I’m surfing the couch waves at Ms. C’s. HANG TEN! Ms. C is wonderful. She feeds me, keeps me out of the rain, and is incredibly supportive. Granted this is temporary...

This week’s activities:

-Starbucks, where I spend WAY too much time, to send/respond to e-mails…EVERYDAY. (I mainly go to Starbucks to make sure I get my daily exercise)

-Informational interview in New York.

To get from New Jersey to New York, I have to walk, because I’m too cheap to drive, 2.1 miles (oh, I GPSed it) to the bus stop, then hop onto the A train into the heart of the city.

I went into the city for my informational interview (which I killed…I think) and was on my way back to Ms. C’s.

Let me explain the train situation. The trains are divided by color then number/letter. The color shows which trains are on the same routes and the number/letter shows where they split. Before I can get back to the bus stop to New Jersey, I have to get on the blue line, A train.


I’m waiting for the train and sweating my life away. I tell ya, the subways give hell a run for its money…I’m just saying. I get on the train, my headphones a-blarin, off in my own world, and replaying my interview when suddenly, I’m alone in this tacky, 70's chic train that’s not moving and engulfed in darkness.

Side note: I’m claustrophobic. I can’t wear mittens, have my arms pinned to my sides, be in rooms with no windows, etc. I am a mammal. I need to be free. I need fresh air!

Turns out, I am on the blue line, C train. I’m walking up and down this tacky train trying to find a way out before all the "fresh," and I use that term loosely, air is gone. At either end there is only an emergency break. What am I going to do with an emergency break in a stopped train?

Low and behold, the door opens and my knight in neon orange and yellow comes to my rescue. Not to be rude, but I pretty much began the okays and head nodding once my knight told me that he would get me back to the next terminal safely. There was something about being careful when wearing headphones (which I put back in immediately after he left) and I’m not the first this has happened to. We finally get to the next terminal and my knight is chatting up a storm and while I appreciate his assistance…sir, less talky more door opening.

By the time I get back to Ms. C’s and begin to feed my addiction to movie channels, the C train is mentioned on every station! That stupid train seemed to be mocking me!

So what did I learn this week (again)…train number/letter first, color second!

No comments:

Post a Comment